Monday, September 21, 2009

Healthy Breakfast Anyone?

I like to have a heavy breakfast. I mean, when I am done with breakfast I like to feel full.

One strategy I've learned is to begin the day with some fairly simple carbohydrates like fructose that kick-start your metabolism after several hours of general lethargy. I usually have a couple of prunes as soon as I wake up while I make my first cup of morning coffee.

For breakfast, I try to work in a lot of fiber since the type of food we eat in the West for breakfast lends itself well to fiber loading. I also try to ensure I get a high quality protein as well which for me usually means some fat free dairy--either fat free cottage cheese, which has an extremely high protein to calorie ratio, or yogurt which is higher on the carbohydrates. I usually include an some additional less complex sugars in the form of fresh and frozen fruit as well. Through the rest of the day, I usually don't consume much other simpler sugars, including fruit.

This recipe is as simple as could be, and it makes for a wonderfully delicious breakfast.

Fruit Oatmeal

1/2 Cup Strawberries or 1/4 Cup Blueberries, Frozen (fresh are okay, too, but frozen are less expensive, cook down easier and keep longer!)
3/4 Cup Whole Old Fashion Oats (slightly over one normal serving)
1/2 Cup Water
1 Teaspoon Honey or Sorghum Molasses

The fruit will give up enough enough liquid to properly cook the oats. First, add the fruit and water to a small pot, bring to a boil, add the oats, and reduce heat. Stir occasionally to keep from sticking . . . it should cook in about five minutes, but you want it to be pretty thick by the time you are done but a little standing liquid is okay. Let cool for about 3-5 minutes while still on the (off) burner and it will continue to adsorb moisture. If you have a hard time getting you kids to have a healthier breakfast--look no further!

No comments:

Post a Comment